Archive for October, 2010

Web Service Crashes – Could not load file or assembly ‘xxxx’ or one of its dependencies. There is not enough space on the disk. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070070)

October 25, 2010

Semi-Loyal Public,

Got this error with the deceptively self-explanatory error message ‘Could not load file or assembly ‘xxxx’ or one of its dependencies. There is not enough space on the disk. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070070)’.

Accidently Correct

Well, the disk was indeed full, so I deleted Megabytes of useless rubbish from the disk and re-ran the app, but annoyingly still got the crash.

This means that the error message was either accidently correct, or that the C#.NET compiler generates error messages by taking a punt on partial information making it behave like it was written by a 2nd year Uni Student as a lab exercise for an Artificial Intelligence course.

Turns out Disk Space had nothing to do with it. The real reason the WebService could not run was because the UserAccount as defined in the Application Pool settings for the WebService did not have permissions to the bin directory of the WebService.

Resolution:

  • Check user for the Web Service in the Application Pool.
  • Give that user Full Control to the Bin Directory for the web application, in this case MyUnrealWebService. which was running under the user ‘NETWORK SERVICE’

Hat Tip to drobar who was kind enough to post the relevant fix at Umbraco.

Advertisements

Visual Studio: Cannot Step Into WCF Service Hosted In IIS

October 25, 2010

If you are reading this then you are probably a complete newbie like myself to WCF. Never mind. We can huddle here together for warmth.

So in my case I had a WCF Service running on localhost under IIS and a Client that consumed that Service running under Cassini. There was a Breakpoint in my Client code on the call to my WCF Method and when I hit that breakpoint and hit F11 then the debugger would step into it as obediently as Frankenstein’s Monster on an assassination mission. I was as smug as a 200kg Tabby Cat locked in a Cream factory over the Christmas holidays.

My client app and my WCF app were in different solutions and open in different instances of VS2008.

Then I made my critical mistake – I went to Lunch.

During my absence tiny invisible super-intelligent Manta Rays from the Planet QUARX sabotaged my apps so that I could no longer step into the WCF code from my client. My Team Lead could not figure out why either.

Well about 96 Google Minutes later I found this hyper-simple solution (remember, we’re newbies here) on TroubleShootingWiki.org.

I slavishly did what they suggested which was in the VS2008 instance hosting my WCF Solution, select Debug from the main menu and…

select process aspnet_wp.exe from the list of available processes, and click the Attach button. You will find this process attached to the debugger. Open the HelloWorldService.cs file and set a breakpoint if you haven’t done so already. Now run the HelloWorldClient program…from another Visual Studio instance…and you will see that the breakpoint is now hit.

Good news: The tiny hyper-intelligent Manta Rays are gone and the Tabby Cat is back. Pass me the Triple Fat thanks.